Montag, 20. Januar 2014

Cable Experiment Mitts with Latvian Twist

A friend asked me whether I could knit a pair of my Cable Experiment Mitts for her - in dark red with some orange ...  Without thinking much, I started the first mitt with a latvian twist at the lower edge - only to realize later that it would be difficult to the same thing on the upper edge. I ended up, knitting a seperate piece - the same latvian twist I did as the lower edge - and grafted it to the top.




Creative Commons License
This work by Knitting and so on is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.


So, here's how I did it in more detail:
  • I cast on 56 stitches as explained in the original pattern
  •  But instead of joining them in the round, I knitted 6 rows of garter stitch (2 rows in the contrast colour (orange), 2 rows in the main colour (red) and 2 rows in the contrast colour. I then cut the yarn of the contrast colour.
  • Using the main colour, I knitted 7 stitches and turned the rest of the stitches around the left-hand needle (that's the latvian twist - for more information see the links below), I repeated this to the end of the row and then joined the piece in the round.
  • Leaving out the ribbing rows of the original pattern, I then started to knit the pattern repeats (rows 1 to 20) and followed the pattern (thumb gusset and all).
  • When I had finished I cut the yarn (of the main colour) leaving a tail long enough for grafting.
  • On a different needle I cast on 56 stitches and knitted 6 rows of garter stitch (2 in CC, 2 in MC and 2 in CC) - as on the lower edge I knitted (in MC) 7 stitches, turned the not-yet-knitted stitches around the left-hand needle and repeated that process to the end of the row.
  • I then grafted the edge to the mitt, wove in the ends and started the second mitt :)

Some links:

4 Kommentare:

  1. I love your mits and I like this one very much! Great design and beautiful colours <3

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Love your designs, great 3-D work. I do not knit I crochet so do you mind if I use your "start at the thumb" idea to make crocheted directions? I am working with the Circle Mitts. I loveit - it just opens up so many possibilities

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Of course, I don't mind. Go ahead! I would love to see a crochet-version of the "start at the thumb" mitts.
      If ever you publish the pattern in a blog, let me know and I'll link it on the pattern page.

      Löschen